Monday, October 22, 2012

Let's take a ride!

Do you remember that childhood song: "Let's take a ride in an automobile, let's take a ride in a car, listen to the......... go ......... as we travel a long" ? Well this seems fitting for me lately! There are a lot of sounds to be heard while going in a car! So take a ride with me!

1. I pulled the car up to the stoplight and the windows were down on a beautiful fall day when I heard this noise! I asked my kids what I could possibly be hearing, so my poor kids, went through every sound they could hear and I would try to match the sound I was searching for. (I am blessed with adorable and patient kids!) And it turns out, I could hear the leaves blowing across the street!!!!!!!!!!! That just BLEW me away! Really, leaves across the street?!!!! I have heard of leaves as you crunch upon them while walking, but to hear they rustle across the street! That just made my whole week!

2. Rain sounds different for me right now. I don't know how to describe it. But when in a car, rain used to be kind of muffled and all together static like. Now for the first time, on a rainy day, I can clearly hear the pitt-patter of the raindrops on the roof of the car. Pretty cool!

3. I can hear the keys in the ignition when turning off the car, nothing new there, but I didn't realize that I would still be able to hear it as I got out of the car going to the other side to retrieve the baby. I was able to hear it loudly to the other side. You can be sure I will never do that again, the keys go with me!

4. As we were driving home I noticed I could hear a motorcycle which is nothing new but I couldn't see it anywhere! I asked the kids if I was imagining that sound, they said no, so we started looking for the motorcycle. It wasn't until we were going uphill, that we saw the motorcycle that was 12 cars away from us!!!!!!!!!! Ok, that may not seem like a big deal to you, but I could only hear motorcycles that were close or at least in sight and around me, but for it to be so far away and I could still hear it almost faintly but clearly-THAT'S A BIG DEAL!!!!!

While I am extremely grateful for these news sounds, my frustrating and hardest thing I am dealing with right now is being able to communicate. Whether it is too much noise around me or the person is not loud enough, or I am having trouble decipher what a speaker is saying whether from pulpit or in a room, I am still struggling with communication-the very thing that I must deal with daily and the very thing that I had mastered with my old hearing aids. Now I have to start over again and I am now struggling!! I am reminded over and over to be patient, but it is so hard to be patient when dealing this daily! My audiologist said I can later switch frequencies or change my setting so background noises are not bothersome and such, but right now I have to get used to all these sounds so my brain can process them.

So right now, I am trying to enjoy the ride and pray for patience: I can't do this on my own, thank goodness I got someone who can carry me through this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment